Google Buzz and Dunbar's Number

The Web's a Buzz About Google Buzz
Image by Thomas Hawk via Flickr
With both Robert Scoble and Jason Calcanis (and Steve Rubel thinking of) stopping their Tweets from entering Google Buzz, they have joined the movement of lessening the noise on the said social network.

A much more drastic (and I think even better) Google Buzz noise effect was on Damond Nollan when he decided to unfollow a ton of people on both his Twitter and Google Reader.
...I made the decision to unfollow around 3,400 accounts on Twitter and another couple hundred in Google Reader. 
He did this on order to have deeper engagement, more value, and less noise when it comes to social media. I'm liking his idea a LOT.

All these actions remind me of the theory of Dunbar's Number which states that the number of social interaction is limited to 150 only because:
"this limit is a direct function of relative neocortex size, and that this in turn limits group size ... the limit imposed by neocortical processing capacity is simply on the number of individuals with whom a stable inter-personal relationship can be maintained."
Whatever the "right" number would be, I have no clue, but reducing the massive number of people you follow to what you can handle is essential in making your social network really work for you.

I'll be posting soon on how I will do this on ALL of my social networks. There might even be some social sites that I will totally leave in order to put some sort of order in all of this noise and chaos.

Zemanta helped me add links & pictures to this email. It can do it for you too.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
top